Narcan® Opioid Overdose Rescue Kits and training availableSeptember 27, 2021
Opioid use is up in Alaska and an overdose can happen to anyone, at any time. Be prepared to save a life with a Narcan® overdose rescue kit. They are easy to use, can stop an overdose and save lives.
Narcan (Naloxone) kits can quickly reverse the effects of an opioid overdose. Naloxone, easily delivered in a nasal spray, knocks opioids and heroin off the brain’s opioid receptors, reversing the effects of the opioid and allowing the person to breathe again. This means if someone overdoses on pain medicine or opioids, it can save their life. Even if you suspect a person has overdosed or you have no other medical training, Narcan kits can be a safe way to assist someone immediately.
You can order this first aid tool by visiting iknowmine.org/narcan and completing the online Opioid Overdose Response Training.
Once your training is complete, you will be sent a Narcan opioid response kit that you can keep in your home or take it with you wherever you travel. All members of our community should be trained and provided with Narcan in the event a loved one or someone around them experiences an opioid overdose.
These free kits are only available to anyone 18 and older and have an Alaska-based address. For more information, please visit: https://www.iknowmine.org/narcan.
What is Narcan® Nasal Spray?
Narcan (naloxone) is a medicine that can quickly reverse an opioid overdose. Naloxone knocks opioids and heroin off the brain’s opioid receptors, reversing the effects of the opioid and allowing the person to breathe again.
How do you get Narcan Kits?
- Order a free Narcan Kit at iknowmine.org/narcan-kit
- Access and complete the Opioid Overdose Recognition and Response training module at https://www.iknowmine.org/narcan-training-module/story.html
- Approximately 15 minutes to complete
- Email the completion certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Submit a copy or picture of the completion certificate
- Training certificates are kept on file for future orders
- Receive Narcan kit(s) in the mail
What’s included in the kit?
- 2 Narcan® (naloxone) nasal spray doses and instructions
- Face shield for CPR rescue breathing
- Fentanyl test strip and instructions
What are opioids?
Opioids include many prescription pain relievers. Heroin, an illegal drug, is also an opioid. Fentanyl is a legally prescribed opioid that is also frequently produced illegally in the black market. Made from the opium poppy plant, or produced artificially to have a similar effect, all opioids affect the brain’s regions that produce feelings of reward. Opioids activate the brain’s opioid receptors and reduce pain by attaching to these receptors, reducing the perception of pain.
Also available at www.iknowmine.org/shop:
- Fentanyl test strips and instructions
- Safe Medicine Disposal System bags and buckets
- Educational handouts (substance misuse prevention and HIV/STD Prevention)
- HIV Self-test Kits